Monday, January 2, 2012

My 2012 Resolution

Ok, no weight was gained or lost since I last posted about trying to lose weight.  I did however sprain my MCL.  So, I am doing my PT exercises and hope to get back to "real exercising" soon.  My real weight loss may come with my new 2012 resolution...
BUY AMERICAN.  I thought, how hard could it be?  Well, it is January 2, 2012 and I went to BJ's to pick up a few items for the kids' lunches as they start back to school.  Not quite as easy as it sounds.  Bananas, no.  Apples, from Washington or so they say, I hope so.  Apples, yes.  Orange juice was a bigger problem than I imagined.  I could not find all USA orange juice at BJ's.  Both Simply Orange and Tropicana had juice from USA and Brazil.  I will be at another grocery store tomorrow to buy Florida's Natural because apparently that is the only orange juice guaranteed to be made in the USA.  I didn't buy Dino Nuggets because they are from Canada.  Bummer!  I also did not buy some other foods that we could not figure out whether they were actually made.  "Distributed by" does not guarantee they are made in the US.  The biggest disappointment was the "organic orange juice" that I figured had to be all USA orange juice only to read that it contained juice from the USA and Mexico.  How does Mexico decide if something is organic?  So, here is the good news about organic in Mexico as reported on http://www.goodfoodworld.com/2011/02/organics-from-mexico-are-they-safe/ on Jan.2, 2012:
"For a food item to be sold as certified organic in the United States — whether grown in the United States, in Mexico, or anywhere else in the world — it must meet all the requirements of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Organic Program. It must be produced without the use of toxic synthetic pesticides, artificial fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or irradiation.
Perhaps most important, it must be certified by a USDA-accredited agency. Certification includes inspection of farm fields and processing facilities, detailed record keeping of what inputs were applied to the land, and, if there’s cause for concern, soil and water testing."
Good to know, but still not made in the USA.  So, as I try to find foods and products made in the USA, I'll let you know how it goes.  My daughter asked if she was allowed to buy things made elsewhere, I told her "No!"  Is that mean?  She asked if we cannot find something made in the USA what will happen.  I told her as a last resort, we'll buy from somewhere else.  But where?  Who knows?  However, as I am typing, I saw a commercial for Vizio televisions.  It said they were American made and I thought, "Come on now?"  So, I looked them up and this is the information I found on www.vizio.com/about/
"VIZIO, Inc. was founded in 2002 by William Wang with the idea that everyone deserves to own the latest technology. Mr. Wang's first two employees, Laynie Newsome and Ken Lowe, were honored as co-founders and eight years later are still hard at work taking entertainment freedom by storm! By providing a myriad of high definition entertainment options and unmatchable value, VIZIO has grown to over 160 employees and remains the first American brand in over a decade to lead in U.S. LCD HDTV sales."
So, at least I know what kind of TV to buy!

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be interesting!

    Jen Thompson

    ReplyDelete