Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stepping Stones

Reading Joshua 4 really strikes me as a hiker's chapter.  It reminds of crossing a stream or a creek on stepping stones.  The Israelites were blessed to have God leading the way and stopping the flow of water in the Jordan.  It shows God's faithfulness once again in taking care of His chosen people.  As the Israelites cross the Jordan it proves to me that God is true to His word and His people are crossing into the Promised Land.  I love rocks and the rock memorial that is being set up to honor God.  Rocks are so forever to me.  It is like "Diamonds are forever."  Diamonds are just shiny rocks!  The imagery of the Jordan starting to flow once all the people have crossed seems to be a washing away of the old to me.  The Israelites have just crossed into their new life that God promised them.
It might be a new life for them, but it shows that God is always there, unchanging, and faithful.  Yes, God is eternal.  The concept of eternal is a scary and fascinating concept.  It reminds me of "Twilight".  Sorry, but it does.  I have 2 daughters who have asked me to watch the movies with them and I am struck by the sorrow that these vampires have of having eternal life on earth.  That is not where we want to be eternally.  Plus, how about the idea of "eternal youth."  That really doesn't seem to work out for anyone; you just need to look at all the bad plastic surgery to see that.  The idea of eternal life with God, now that is where I want to be.  As I explain to my kids, we die to this earthly life and get to live eternally with God if we believe and follow His Son, Jesus.  That is not an easy concept to get.  There are days when I get swept over by it, but learning more about God and His Son soothes me.  The concepts of eternal, eternity, and infinity are very difficult grasp.
God's miracles are not always easy to grasp either.  The memory of God's Goodness is something I remember best when I am praying.  I cannot pray without thinking of all the good God has done in my life and the lives around me.  Plus, looking at the miracles that are my children, it reinforces the fact that God is good!
I would have to say that my comfort level in sharing what God has done for me is increasing.  I used to feel weird if I would talk about God and miracles or answered prayers.  Now that I am meeting more and more people who have experienced similar things, it has become easier for me to share.  I actually find that my story about going to Kenya is a great way to introduce the concept of God to people.  They are fascinated hearing about traveling far away to help people who are so much worse off than anyone here in the US.  Just like going to a new place or experiencing something new can cause anxiety, but we push through it.  I am finding that I have to push through some of that anxiety to share the Goodness of God.  It is not always easy and takes some balance, just like crossing over these Stepping Stones.

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Thank you for sharing your heart!
    I love your point about the Twilight series -- never thought about the eternal issue that could so easily lead to a discussion about Christ and a happy eternal life that we actually look forward to!!
    God uses every thing to His glory, does He not?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Diamonds are just shiny rocks"

    They are also really old rocks. Maybe that's what happens as we stand as God's stones over time... we begin to shine more brilliantly for Him. Just a thought. And, the rocks of remembrance in my own life, I pray they become even more precious with time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss commenting here? Such a touching post.. well done- I love that you are looking for God in every facet of what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Now I REALLY don't feel bad about loving diamonds after all! YESSSSSS!

    2) I oftentimes see a movie or hear a song and think, "Wow, they just don't get it. It must be a frightening/miserable/lonely experience to be them without God in their lives." It makes me really step back and appreciate everything God has done for me, none of which I deserve.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete